Bone Densitometry (BMD/DEXA)
Bone Densitometry examines the health of your bones by measuring the mineral content of bone
Bone Densitometry can detect osteoporosis in its earliest stages and the potential risk for bone fractures
DEXA Scan – Dual Energy XRAY Absorptiometry
A DEXA scan is a painless, easy test and usually takes 15-30 minutes. It is a precise test and also safe as the radiation dose is very low. You will be asked to lie on your back in two different positions; a scanner will pass over areas of your body. The test uses x-rays to measure the density of your lower back, one or sometimes both of your hips and occasionally other bones such as your wrist.
- Unless instructed otherwise, eat normally on the day of the exam; but avoid taking calcium supplements for at least 24 hours prior to your appointment.
- Please refrain from wearing zippers, buttons, grommets or any metal on your clothing.
- You should not have had a barium study, radioisotope injection, oral or intravenous contrast material from a CT scan or MRI within seven days prior to your DEXA test.
- City XRAY – Macquarie Street
- Beaches XRAY – Dee Why
- Highlands XRAY
- Shoalhaven Medical Imaging
- Illawarra Medical Imaging – Wollongong
- Georges River Medical Imaging – Revesby